.

READER REVIEW: Colby's Review of Jeni's Queen City Cayenne

Well I finally made it to the new Jeni's Splendid Westside Provisions Scoop Shop in Atlanta. I have been eagerly anticipating sampling many of Jeni's seasonal flavors and other flavors that I can't normally find. The scoop shop had about 30 flavors to sample, 9 of which I tried. I ended up purchasing 3 pints: Loveless Biscuits and Peach Jam, Middle West Whiskey Eggnog, and Queen City Cayenne. This review will be of Jeni's Queen City Cayenne, which is described as: Velvety, rich, mellow milk chocolate. Bright, zippy, back-of-the-throat spice makes for a complex, tingly finish.


Boy, Jeni wasn't lying about the back-of-the-throat spice that's for sure! My first bite of this ice cream caught me off guard. It really does pack a nice punch from the cayenne peppers. Being a lover of all things spicy, I immediately went back for a second scoop. Same burn as before! Love it!


As far as the overall flavor is concerned, all the comments really play together nicely. The milk chocolate base is smooth and creamy and the unexpected zing from the spices makes this a very unique ice cream. The spice level might actually be too overpowering for someone who is not a fan of spicy foods. My only negative comment about this ice cream is the lack of any mix-ins. This is a definite must try flavor for spice fanatics, however, it is not an ice cream that I want to sit down and devour a pint of in one sitting. I do believe though that this is a great ice cream to accompany a rich chocolate cake or brownie. Overall I give this a solid B by itself, although it could easily reach A level with the right mix-ins. Worth a try for sure!


Where Colby Found It: Jeni's Westside Provisions Scoop Shop (Atlanta, GA)
Colby's Grade: B