.

REVIEW: Kemps Chocolate Caramel Brownie


During my most recent exploration of the freezer department, I decided to branch out and check out a brand I hadn't even heard of before. Kemps, much like Turkey Hill and others, provide a wide range of dairy products. Along with their premium ice cream and frozen yogurt, they also offer specialty drinks and dips. After visiting their website, I learn that Kemps has large selection of standard, limited edition and seasonal flavors available. With only a small selection at the locale where I scored this carton, the premium branded Chocolate Caramel Brownie frozen yogurt seemed like my best option.


Prior to this, TCBY's Chocolate Chunk Cookie Dough had been the only frozen yogurt option I'd reviewed, and since the experience hadn't been traumatizing, I figured it might be healthy to incorporate some additional live cultures to my diet. Since this only contains 130 calories per serving, Chocolate Caramel Brownie is certainly easier to fit into everyone's diet than any other flavor featuring brownies. As I began to transfer some from the carton the bowl, the ease at which the frozen yogurt parted for my spoon was surprising. I grab some of the fluffy, chocolate base for further examination. Although the base is soft and light, the consistency is still acceptable, without any of the dreaded artificial feel. The rich, sweet flavoring doesn't have the dry finish that seems to be consistent with super-premium chocolate bases.


The feel of this base seems to be more along the lines of Blue Bunny and Edy's ice cream rather than frozen yogurt. The next ingredient, the caramel swirl, isn't like the ones found inside premium flavors from Ben & Jerry's or High Road, but still acts as a nice contrast to the chocolate base. The sweet, sticky swirl is sufficient, however, it just can't compare to the bits of brownie picture above. These bite-sized squares were dense, moist and some of the chewiest mix-ins I've met. They break down slowly, leaving behind an intense fudge aftertaste that enhances this flavor's effectiveness. Chocolate Caramel Brownie was so impressive for the calories that I might begin adding frozen yogurts to the blog on a regular basis.


Where I Found It: Ingles Markets
Grade: C