.

REVIEW: Ben & Jerry's Mississippi Mud Pie (Limited Batch Walmart Exclusive)


After discovering the release of Ben & Jerry’s latest Walmart exclusive, Mississippi Mud Pie, nearly a month passed before a carton showed up in my area. After suffering through countless pictures and Reader Reviews, I was finally able to get my hands on a pint. This Fairtrade, limited batch is made up of chocolate ice cream & vanilla ice cream with chocolate cake pieces & a chocolate mousse swirl and comes in at 270 calories per serving.


After tossing the lid aside, the first layer looks similar to many other Ben & Jerry’s flavors featuring both chocolate and vanilla ice creams (and that’s to say that it’s mostly brown). While some of the pint is made up of the white base, it’s heavily overpowered and pushed around by its chocolate counterpart not only in looks, but taste as well. After scooping out a few nice-sized globs, the chocolate mousse swirl finally showed itself. These concentrations come in thick splotches and add a light, airy feel with a rich, fudge taste to the existing ice cream.


While I was most excited about the chocolate cake pieces, for once it seems I was a victim of mix-in fraud. I was expecting big hunks of cake like I found in Red Velvet Cake, but that was not the case here. I found nothing more than a few chocolate cake crumbs in the entire pint. The mousse swirl was enough to secure this one a B, but perhaps with more cake, this could have easily seen an A.


Where I Found It: Walmart
Grade: B