.

READER REVIEW: Bob's Review of Wegmans Under The Boardwalk

Wegmans has a wide variety of flavors and this one caught my eye considering I'm a major fan of 2nd Street Kopper Kettle Caramel and Talenti Sea Salt Caramel which are very similar in nature. So I was eager to pick this up and scoop it to rate among those flavors and how it compares and differs from the base, taste, and mix-in wise (truffles and swirl).


If you read the carton's description for Under the Boardwalk it contains: "caramel ice cream with sea salt caramel swirls and caramel truffles". Upon lifting the lid that is exactly what I saw and the small little bits of the caramel swirl were seen on the far left hand side of the pint. Upon picking up my spoon for the first bite I started to notice multiple truffles, and a very light, creamy, and smooth distinct caramel taste.


After taking a few more bites, I still did not notice much of the caramel swirl. It was more like small smudges or fragments of a swirl that did not add much experience to the overall pint. There were small hints of the texture and taste but nothing to give it a distinct feature as a mix-in within the pint. While I love caramel swirls, especially the one found in 2nd Street Kopper Kettle Caramel, Wegmans did not live up to my expectations in that regard.


The last feature to include is the truffles. The truffles were very similar in size, texture and taste to that in 2nd Street, which were outstanding, but they were not as dominant a the ones found in the Talenti pint. Besides the lack of swirl Wegmans still produced an incredible flavor and pint to rival some of the great caramel flavors currently available.

Where Bob Found It: Wegmans
Bob's Grade: A