.

READER REVIEW: Jim's Review of Holey Cream Strawberry Dipped Donut with Red Velvet Cake, Moose Tracks and Long Island Raspberry Ice Creams


After profiling the New York based, Holey Cream Outrageous Ice Cream & Bake Shop a few weeks ago, I was able to encourage a fellow ice cream enthusiast to go check it out for himself. Here's how his experience went:


This was the inside, its pretty small; but that is to be expected. I can't imagine Manhattan is a cheap place to own property. So what you do is go in, look at their ice cream selection (which was quite large I have to say), order a Donut, a frosting for the donut, and your ice cream(s). I picked Red Velvet Cupcake, Moose Tracks, and Long Island Raspberry.


I'll start off with the donut. The donut was still warm when I got it. It may have been freshly made, but I didn't really notice. The options for icing are Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry. I thought Vanilla would be boring and Chocolate would be overpowering, so I went with Strawberry. The icing was delicious and coated the donut perfectly, but didn't overpower the rest of the creation. The donut was very light and worked great with the rest of the ice cream.


Moose Tracks: Vanilla ice cream, fudge swirl, and peanut butter cups. The vanilla ice cream was great and there was enough going on for it not to be boring. The swirl was thick and abundant and the peanut butter cups were more like little peanut butter truffles.


Long Island Raspberry: I normally don't go for fruity flavors, but it just seemed super refreshing because it was very warm, I had been walking for a while, and I would still be walking for a while. I'm not entirely sure what it was because I can’t find a description. I just know that it was tasty.


Red Velvet Cupcake: Ok this is the one that surprised me the most. I have had a few Red Velvet Cake ice creams in my day, but this just destroyed them all. The Red Velvet Cupcake pieces were chewy, abundant and stood out from the base very well.


Where Jim Found It: Holey Cream Outrageous Ice Cream
Grade: A