.

REVIEW: Ben & Jerry's Raspberry Fudge Chunk Greek Frozen Yogurt


For the longest time, I was stubborn about succumbing to the new Greek Frozen Yogurt lineup being pushed by the people at Ben & Jerry’s. Following my positive experiences with Banana Peanut Butter and Blueberry Vanilla Graham, I thought I’d continue my exploration with their Raspberry Fudge Chunk. I first had the combination of raspberry Greek frozen yogurt with fudge chunks at the scoop shop inside the Ben & Jerry’s Headquarters back in the beginning of April. Even then, I was slightly impressed; especially after tasting the lackluster Liz Lemon just a few seconds prior. With the exception of Berry Voluntary that features a raspberry cheesecake base, this is the only raspberry based flavor in their entire lineup.


After pulling off the bright blue lid, the first layer of this 200-calorie per serving Greek frozen yogurt looks exactly how I remember: lilac in color with plenty of fudge chunks littered about. Despite the frozen yogurt classification, Ben & Jerry’s is still able to retain their patented super-premium consistency. The thick, slow-to-melt base starts off mild, but soon incorporates two separate degrees of tartness. The natural sourness of the raspberries is joined by the unique taste of the Greek yogurt to create a foundation that screams for some type of sweet mix-in. Like the others, the taste of the Greek yogurt grows on me as I go.


To break up some of the sourness of the frozen yogurt, Ben & Jerry’s has tossed in some of their fudge chunks. These small bars of chocolate are rock-hard and included in high amounts. One of the things I’ve learned through all my ice cream eating is that when you’re dealing with the fudge chunks from Ben & Jerry’s, patience is required. Trying to chew the chocolate will leave with a sore mouth and unsatisfied. By letting the chunks slowly melt down from the warmth of your mouth, the experience is much better. The rich, sweetness from the fudge is able to alleviate the tartness of the other components, but still can’t fully save this flavor. I’d suggest sticking with some of my other suggestions when looking for a Greek Frozen Yogurt fix.


Where I Found It: Super Wal-Mart
Grade: C