.

REVIEW: Ciao Bella Belgian Chocolate S'mores Gelato Squares


Ever since I was turned on to Ciao Bella Gelato by their Sea Salt Caramel and Key Lime Graham Gelato Squares, I’ve been looking for the opportunity to further explore some of their flavors. From that point on, I’ve only been able to find their various sorbets and I just couldn’t bring myself to purchase any of those. Earlier today though, I ran across a new addition to the Ciao Bella line of Gelato Squares: S’mores. They brag about their most recent release by saying, “Temptingly creamy and nestled between two wafers – this chef inspired blend of Belgian chocolate gelato with chocolate and marshmallow swirls is sure to seduce your taste buds.” I quickly thrust open the door, grabbed the last remaining box and headed to the cashier.


The blend of Belgian chocolate s’mores gelato and graham cracker squares comes in a box of four and come in at 250 calories each; about the same as one serving of super-premium ice cream. I tore off the white plastic wrapper and removed the square. The golden graham crackers sandwiching the chocolate gelato give these gelato squares a very similar look to the actual campfire snack. The soft wafers are full of graham cracker flavoring, but lacked the initial crunch of the real deal. The gelato inside is rich and plenty dense enough to properly show off the full-bodied flavors of the Belgian chocolate.


The taste of the s’mores gelato only improved as I reached the two types of swirls concentrated towards the center. The chocolate swirl was darker than the base gelato and intensified the richness, while the marshmallow added a fluffy texture and even more sugar. For a frozen dessert, the bites containing all of the different ingredients are awfully close to the flavors found in the actual treat. If you’re a fan of this particular combination, you’ll want to get your hands on a box of these.


Where I Found It: Earth Fare
Grade: A