.

REVIEW: Talenti Gelato Sicilian Pistachio


Following my first encounter with Talenti and their Sea Salt Caramel, I was flying high. I was ready to try anything in their repertoire; including pistachios. This unfamiliar nut had failed to capture my attention previously, but now that I was confident in Talenti’s gelato making capability; the light-green carton seemed like a worthy candidate to serve as my first taste. The transparent packaging allows the combination of the chartreuse-colored gelato and flecks of roasted pistachios to be put on full display. According to Talenti's website, this classic is made with whole, fresh roasted pistachio nuggets and homemade pistachio butter, lightly blended together with fresh gelato to create this all-natural flavor.


After unscrewing the brown lid, the first layer comes as no surprise. At 210 calories per serving this appears to be super-premium, but I’m disappointed to discover that this doesn’t share the same incredible consistency as Sea Salt Caramel. Even though it’s not as velvety as my previous experience with gelato, this thick pistachio base provides a rich finish due to the homemade pistachio butter involved. I hadn’t expected the mild, subdued pistachio flavoring; especially considering the full-bodied base in Sea Salt Caramel, but still wasn’t bad by any means. From the first bite to the last, my spoon was constantly getting caught on the various sized pieces of actual pistachio lying around.


Most of these fresh roasted pistachio nuggets are small in stature, but a few whole pieces have mananged to make their way in as well. These un-skinned portions start with a crunch and quickly morph into a softer, chewier consistency. When the unique taste of actual roasted pistachios are added to the slightly sweetened gelato base, this provides a more authentic flavor profile. Although Talenti is able to show off their top-notch ingredients, this mild-mannered offering doesn’t do much for me; but appears to be well constructed for those who enjoy this particular concept.


Where I Found It: Ingles Markets
Grade: C