.

READER REVIEW: Mo's Review of Stone Ridge Creamery's Caramel Cheesecake

I’m always fascinated when I see brands from other parts of the country sneak their way onto local grocery store shelves. On a recent trip to a supermarket I rarely shop at (not because it’s bad, but because it’s usually out of my way), I noticed an entire freezer full of offerings from Stone Ridge Creamery. Although most of the flavors were ones I’d seen before, the excitement of trying out a new brand prompted me to purchase several cartons on a whim.


I decided that my introduction to Stone Ridge Creamery would come in the form of Caramel Cheesecake, a flavor described as “caramel and cheesecake ice cream with ribbons of caramel.” It sounded good, and when I popped open the carton, I was very pleased with what I saw. The caramel ribbons were more than abundant, and I didn’t have to dig too deeply to get a solid dose of that swirl.


What’s great about this ice cream is that the swirl and the base come together to create a rich caramel flavor that isn’t overly sweet. I tend to prefer salty caramel flavors over those that are straight-up caramel because the salt usually cuts the sweetness in just the right way; but I have to say, Stone Ridge pulled off this flavor quite nicely. The ice cream itself is light and airy, and I appreciate its fluffy texture. In fact, I’d have to describe the base as almost but not quite slow-churned. And I mean that in a good way, because unlike some of the churn-style ice creams out there which tend to leave me wanting more, after a serving of Caramel Cheesecake, I was able to walk away feeling nice and satisfied.


Nutritionally speaking, this one doesn’t even have to make you feel guilty. A half-cup portion will set you back a mere 150 calories, which isn’t bad considering the depth of caramel flavor you get in each bite. My only real gripe about this ice cream is the absence of some sort of textural contrast. I enjoyed my bowl tremendously, but at the same time found myself longing for just a bit of crunch. In fact, I think next time I’ll throw in some chocolate-covered pretzels or pecan pralines from my pantry to give the flavor a little boost. But even without doctoring, this flavor definitely holds its own.


Where Mo Found It: Acme
Mo's Grade: B